Mr. Friedman is the shareholder in charge of the Firm’s Government Law and Lobbying practice group. He represents a wide variety of businesses, non-profit organizations, developers, and trade associations before local governments in South Florida, the Florida Legislature and Executive Agencies in Tallahassee. He has helped public and private sector clients secure millions of dollars in government grants, procurements, concessions and contracts. An experienced lawyer-lobbyist, he provides strategic advice and guides clients through the complex governmental procurement process, including responding to Requests for Proposals (RFP) from the early stages of team building through project submittals and presentations to final selection and negotiation.
Recognized by the Sun-Sentinel as one of the area’s most influential lawyer-lobbyists, his 30+ years of political experience, knowledge of the government, and access to key decision makers are extremely valuable to his clients. An active and visible political figure, Mr. Friedman has addressed the Democratic National Convention, testified before U.S. Congress, and appeared on programs including “Good Morning America”, “The O’Reilly Factor” and “Larry King.” Prior to practicing law in Florida, he spent ten years working on Capitol Hill as Chief-of-Staff to a U.S. Congressman. He was the youngest chief-of-staff at the time.
- Lead lawyer and lobbyist for Matthews Southwest, the developer of the Broward County Convention Center Expansion and 800-room hotel. Mr. Friedman has worked extensively with City of Fort Lauderdale and Broward County staff and elected officials on a variety of complex development and financing issues.
- Helped secure millions of dollars in dozens of line item State Appropriations for human service agencies and nursing homes affiliated with the Florida Association of Jewish Federations during 25+ years of representation.
- Helped pass mandatory Holocaust Education legislation and other legislation related to Hate Crimes and the divestiture of State pension funds from certain countries, such as Iran and Sudan Legislation to allow for investment in Israel Bonds, and Legislation banning State and local governments from doing business with companies engaged in BDS boycotts of Israel.
- Represented the City of Hollywood and helped secure millions of dollars of State funds for senior center programs, beach nourishment, park improvements, museums, and public safety during 25 years of representation.
- Helped pass substantive legislation regarding Home Rule Power, Annexation, Community Re-Development Agencies (CRA), Municipal Elections, and coastal construction and development.
- Represented Isle Casino at Pompano Park Racing for 25 plus year. Supervised the $20 million successful statewide political campaign of the casino referendum on behalf of The Isle Casino and Racing at Pompano Park. Helped pass enabling legislation and Agency Rules to govern slot machine gaming and cardrooms.
- Worked on hundreds of permit approvals in the design, construction and operation of the new $182 million Isle Casino and Racing at Pompano Park. Helped pass legislation to reduce the tax rate and expand hours of operation and types of games.
- Helped devise the winning strategies for concessions and contracts for numerous clients at Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport and Miami Airport: Duty Free Americas, Secure Wrap, Smart Carte, Paradies Shops, Delaware North Food and Hospitality, Inc., Fuel Facility Management, Travelex Financial and Business Services, Go Airport Shuttle, Master Concessionair Sunshine Cleaning Services, Air-IT, HMS Host, Paradies, Standard Parking, Yellow Taxi and SP Plus.
- Helped clients win various hotly contested engineering and design projects at Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport such as: Exit Roadway Design Criteria Package, High Speed Taxiway/ Airfield Modification and General on-call aviation Engineering for Reynolds Smith Hill, the award winning design for the Rental Car Garage – Spillis Candella-DMJM-AECOM, the design of new $600M South Runway RSH, Atkins, Balfour Beatty- James A. Cummings JV for the construction of the new Terminal 4, Tutor Perini for Design-Build New Runway and Apron Project, Gresham Smith Terminal Modernization, NV5 New South Runway QAMTS, Keith and Associates and Cartaya for on-call engineering.
- Quarterbacked a coalition lead by the Florida Retail Federation and hundreds of national and local retailers and shopping center owners in opposition to an Ordinance that would have required mandatory security cameras in all retail parking lots in Broward County.
- Lead lobbyist for Seawood Builders/Catalfumo – H.J. Russell on the hard fought right to design and build Broward County’s new $50 million Central Broward Regional Park in Lauderhill. Negotiated significant change orders, code interpretations, and design criteria issues with County and City officials.
- Represented Embraer Aircraft, Inc. in its successful efforts to secure long term lease extension for aircraft maintenance, and parts distribution center adjacent to the North Runway at Ft. Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport.
PROFESSIONAL / COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES
Mr. Friedman is a past President of the David Posnack Jewish Community Center, which serves thousands of people throughout Broward County on its 50-acre campus in Davie, Florida.
He is also on the Board of Directors of the Ft. Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce, the Florida Restaurant and Lodging Association Broward Chapter, the Jewish Federation Broward County and is Secretary of the South Florida Public Broadcasting Service.
Mr. Friedman has twice served as Chair of the Jewish Federation of Broward County’s Community Campaign Celebration with noted speakers Alan Dershowitz and Nobel Laureate Elie Wiesel and has chaired the Jewish Federation’s corporate campaign for over 10 years.